Saturday, January 31, 2009

THE HOSPITAL
We have now made it to Wednesday. Wow what a wild ride. Tuesday night was full of pain and blood draws and my back was pretty sore from the Spinal tap. They began on Wednesday to rule out everything they could possibly could. That included taking my blood whenever they felt like, and meeting with new Dr's. They decided they would start out with some tests to go along with the Spinal. So they sent me to get a cat scan on my abdomen. Everything was going along quite nicely until they injected the contrast dye into the IV near the end of the test. I THEN HAD AN ALLERGIC REACTION to the dye. My face swelled up and my lips turned blue, my vision went blurry and I couldn't breath. I was really scary.I finished out the test but felt really weak after that.
Then they took me back to my room. As soon as we got back the coldness started to came back and I had the worst "episode" yet. I started shaking so bad I couldn't stop and I was literally yelling out in pain. They immediately gave me a shot of narcotics, benadryl and steroids. The pain stopped a few minuted later and I was finally able to sleep. It was a rough few hours.

Later that day I met with a few different Doctors who of course all wanted blood samples for different tests. I met with a hematologist to discuss my blood. My white blood cell count was REALLY LOW and my platelets were down so they know I was fighting off something bad. The hematologist wanted to do work on my blood, so more tests. He told me that if my blood count didn't go up by the morning then they would have to do a bone marrow biopsy. But we will get to that. Then I met with the Rhuematologist who wanted to do work to see if I had Lupus or some other Auto-Immune disease. Then came the infectious disease doctor who wanted to rule out any crazy diseases. And last but not least cam the Neurologist. He obviously wanted to do tests for things like MS, brain tumors etc. So it was quite the panel of Doctors to try and solve the Mystery.

Wednesday night came and guess what, it was the first night without the pain!!!!! What? I know I was shocked. But I know it was from the fasting and prayers. Both mine and Doug's families fasted all day, and I know that miracles can happen. Another REALLY EXCITING thing happened on Wednesday. My Mom flew into Knoxville to take care of me. She is so amazing, and I am more grateful to her than anyone can know. It is great.



Thursday began bright and early with of course it starting off with more blood work. They came back to let me know my white blood cells were still low so they would be in to to the BONE MARROW BIOPSY. This is DEFINITELY the WORST test that can be done to a living person. Let me explain. First, they numb the area between your hip bone and your back. Then they make an incision with a razor blade. next, they take a ginormous needle and hammer it and dig it into your bone! OUCH! Then they take a smaller a needle to suck out the marrow in your bone. It is pretty indescribable. I just know that my back is going to hurt for days. Then they sent off the slides and we had to wait.
Then last night they sent me off finally for an MRI of my head. Maybe some headache answers.

No comments: