Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The grass isn't always greener

I remember when I first moved to Tennessee and I went to an enrichment night at our ward. We were having a discussion about life and I remember one lady saying that she had three kids and no time to get anything done. She went on about it for a couple of minutes and after she was done I raised my hand and said that the grass isn't always greener on the other side because at that time I had a six month old baby, my husband was in his first year of law school, and I had no car! I remember being so bored, and thinking that I can only clean the house so much. That time of my life was hard, but I made it through, and now I am saying to myself, "What did I do with all my time when I only had one kid?" I can now empathize with that lady at enrichment and know that three kids does keep you busy! WOW! I am now facing new challenges (and being bored is not one of them). Adjusting to more kids is tough, but times like these I try to think of someone like Emma Smith. Now that lady had trials. She went through things that I cannot even imagine, but she stayed faithful, and she made it through. I know that life is not going to be perfect and as Elder M. Russell Ballard said speaking of mothers who stay home with their children, "There are moments of great joy and incredible fulfillment, but there are also moments of a sense of inadequacy, monotony, and frustration." I totally agree with this. I really love being a mom, and I pray that I can just take it one day at a time and live for the times of great joy and incredible fulfillment.

9 comments:

Allison J. said...

I am busy with only two and I couldn't even imagine having another one running around...bless you Lindsey!!!

Sarah Jayne said...

Yep, I am absolutely certain that it will be an adjustment when I decide to have another! (Or for that matter, when Heavenly Father decides!!!) I am sure that you are an amazing mother to those cute kids!

One Happy Family said...

(Longest comment ever!) I remember this very Enrichment night and it often is in my thoughts b/c of what I learned. It really was a great night! I remember hearing the same lady you mentioned & thinking... "man she doesn't know what she has." Back then, I was ready to have a baby, but waiting to get done with school. I could not wait! Here she was complaining (in my mind) about having three beautiful children. However, today I too completely understand where she was coming from. I feel like I am experiencing the same difficulty, but with two little ones. Some days I tell myself maybe I'm not be cut out for this like I always thought. Yet, Elder Ballard's talk was profound in that it spoke to us all because he recognized & made it known that these feelings are real. We all have them. It made me feel much better knowing I wasn't the only one! Heck, not only was I not the only one, but I realized even the best of moms experience this.

Just like that Enrichment Night, we all are in different seasons of our lives. I know one day I'll be experiencing the one that the oldest lady that night spoke of... empty nest syndrome. It will be at that time that I'll wish my babies were babies again and probably regret ever wanting them to grow up.
We know we have the greatest calling on earth and like you, looking at women whether it be Emma Smith or any pioneer woman or mother of 3,4, or 5 children, I draw strength from their faith and hard work in raising righteous children. You're doing a great job! I think of you often and am pretty confident that you will be surrounded by a righteous posterity in your old age.

Sharstin said...

You are a fabulous mom--those kiddos are so lucky to have you!

Ader Family said...

take time to enjoy those small moments...they are quickly gone. just think how it will be when they are all teenagers!!!LOL

Unknown said...

I have no recollection of THAT enrichment night and it is probably a good thing because it was probably me complaining! :)

I am so happy to be out of that phase and I must say that in this case, the grass was greener.

And, even though some of us complain to cope (not you, but me) it really is nice to know who you can complain to.

And, looking back, I can honestly say I have learned a lot about NOT complaining, and trying to see things more positively, and you were probably the one who taught some of that to me.

So, really, I know you won't do it, but if you ever just need to complain, you know who you can call.

And, I will be the one to remind you that life will get a lot easier and a lot more fun. The moments of monotany fade away and those moments of feeling complete fulfillment and satisfaction with what you have accomplished will be more and more frequent.

Bek said...

I love ya Linds! You are a fabulous Mom! I saw the grace with which you adjusted to being a mom for the first time, when I felt like I was losing it myself. You'll have to give me some pointers when you have it down to a science and November rolls around.

The Steel's said...

Very True Linds, good post. Emma Smith did have a crazy life full of trials, I actually didn't know much about her until recently. She was a good soul. You are such a sweet mom, your kids are so lucky to have you. I want to see more pics of that cute babe!

Katy Beth said...

I totally agree! Each of us has our own struggles at different times in our lifes. Being in their shoes does give us a very real perspective. I thought I knew how it would be to have a child & juggle all the necessities of life like all my friends did. Trust me, I learned quickly it is an art!

I have to tell you though, I admire you so much. I hope that one day I can handle more than one child & a hectic, demanding life with the grace and humility you do. You are far more extraordinary than you realize!