Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The Miracle of Cabbage


About a week ago I had to stop nursing because we discovered that Parker has a milk allergy and could not tolerate breast milk. So we had to put him on what I call my liquid gold, Nutramigen. It is a hypo-allergenic formula that is not milk base, and costs a whoppin 25.00-27.00 at your local grocery store. But that is besides the point. For all of you mothers out there whether nursing or not, I am sure you have felt the pain of engorgement. Well, needless to say since I have stopped nursing cold turkey I have been in some major pain. On Sunday I discovered that I had all the symptoms of Mastitis. It is soo painful. My friend Nadelie told me to try cabbage leaves to help with the pain. Then I called the Dr. to get on some antibiotics and they told me "off the medical record" to try cabbage leaves too. What?? I was sure that was not going to work, but I was desperate. On Monday night I hauled all three of my kids to the store just to buy a head of cabbage. (Crazy huh?) I came home and put some leaves on and waited. At first I didn't notice much of a difference, but after sleeping with cabbage leaves on me all night I woke up a new woman!! Why have I never heard of this before?? It really works. My symptoms are gone! I read online that cabbage has amino acids in it that help with inflammation, and it is soo true. I was thrilled and just wanted to share the miracle of a cabbage
with you!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow Lindsey, maybe I've had more influence on you than I thought. You are getting kind of personal there.

Who knew? I can't believe that you didn't call me and tell me this medical miracle first thing this morning...you know how I love that kind of thing.

I am so happy that you got rid of your pain. And, I will refrain from trying any sleeping with cabbage chest jokes here, just because I can't think of anything worthy enough to say...funny!

Katy Beth said...

I know how you feel. Livvy couldn't nurse. Cabage is a miracle!!

Anonymous said...

Ah, c'mon. I was the one who really told you about cabbage before you ever called your doctor, remember!?!? :) Trust me next time. :)

Kim Felt said...

It must be the babies born lately! Bryson is allergic to milk too! He HATED nutramigen, (oh, darn) so he is on soy. have you tried soy? it stinks but a lot cheaper!

Kara said...

Yeah I used that with Kambri when she was first born. It totally made me feel better. Oh and I got mastitius a couple months ago, not fun! Hopefully you feel better:)

ps way to go taking all three kids to the grocery store!

Sharstin said...

that is the worst! glad you are getting some relief--Hopefully Parker will be feeling better too on his Nutramigen--

Toni said...

MMM weird. Good tip.. wish I would have heard that awhile ago.

The Nance Family said...

We must be two of a kind and having mastitis at the same time, I truly know your pain, although I am still feeding. I didn't try cabbage, I just got the antibiotics, but I know for future reference now, thanks.